Home Info Links Tumblr S H I N I N G & N E Wby mariel
Thursday, March 25, 2010

it's like that, and that's the way it is.

Today was a REALLY good day. I spent it with good friends and in good(ish) weather, taking advantage of the amazing city that I live in.
Because Jen was down for a couple of days, I had a few days off work to travel around with her and really appreciate London. Yesterday we went to the British Museum to look at pretty much everything, but today was even better. Me, Jen and Katy spent the afternoon at the Tate Modern and wandering about the south end of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road, running away from overly enthusiastic album touts.




Miraslaw's Giant Box, photographed by Philip Jones.



At the moment, the tenth installment in the Unilever Series is Miroslaw Balka's "How It Is". His piece is an amazing grey steel structure housing a pitch black chamber measuring 13 metres high and 30 metres long. The entire inside is coated with a soft furry black velvet, a fabric that not only absorbs any light that hits it, but provides a reeally amazing and sensual feeling when you reach out and find you're at a wall.

I literally spent 10 seconds going "oh my god, it's SO SOFT"
The fact that inside the huge steel box you are deprived of any sight, any encounter you have with someone or something feels ten times as dynamic. Speech was piercingly amplified and seemed to come from a precise location and touch sent tiny fizzes down my fingertips. Needless to say, I'm still really excited about this massive box. I'd recommend a visit to EVERYONE. Although, pick a better day than we did for visiting, due to "industrial action" half of the Tate was closed!! Only the post Second World War pieces on the 3rd floor were still open, I was very very disappointed to be missing out on Jeff Koons' work on the 5th.

Labels: , , ,